Friday 2 November 2012

Fish cake



This one was for my husband’s birthday. He doesn’t like to eat sweet stuff (apparently) but managed this one.

 
 
For this small cake I only used one basic sponge (200 g of butter, 200 g of sugar, 200 g of self-rising flour, 3 whole eggs, 3 table spoon of water and 1 table spoon of baking soda) but placed it in bread tin to achieve the basic shape and size of the cake.

I colored sponge pink to imitate fish flesh but that is optional.

Once sponge cooked I cut it in half and filled it with jam and buttercream and also put some forest fruit berries in to again imitate fish flesh and so on. Cake was covered by buttercream and left to chill.

Icing – I prefer ready to roll white icing – it has right consistency and it is quick to color. I separated ½ kg pack to three basic shades - white, light grey and medium grey.

I used my cutters – hand (fingers) to create fish scale – in all three shades and slowly started to place them onto fish’s body. Head was covered and fins made from darker grey so they seem fairly realistic. Mouth and moustache made in dark grey. I sprayed fish with silver spray to give it the wet look.

Eyes – I decided to do a cross as a personal joke – but to create an eye shouldn’t be much trouble.

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment