Saturday 20 October 2012

Teen-age boy cake



There is no point to even pretend that parents of teenager know what he or she would like never mind to know what sort of cake would they like.

I find it easier to simply ask. When I did I was told precisely what should I be making with a tint of attitude of course. But I get it - there is nothing worse than be embarrassed in front of your teenage friends…

There was also an educational part to it – I’ve learned about current must have gave of the week.  So I found an image from games promo pictures on the web and printed it out.
 


Then it was just the case of baking 3 circle shaped sponges which I left their natural color. Buttercream was prepared as directed in my other posts but colored blood red for effect. Sponges were glued together with red buttercream and raspberry jam.  Once cake is ready compare picture and cut out 3D shape to the cake.  This game is called Gear of war – so that is why the gear shape. The circle on top will be for a skull.

Cover the cake with buttercream and allow chilling in fridge whilst getting your ready to roll icing colored. I did not want to use already colored icing as it seemed too simple – but it is optional. Once you achieved color similar enough roll it out and cover the cake.

Shape the top of cake and side of cake to match 3D shape. Using sponge color the icing simulating blood using red food color. Use black food color to cover inside the circle on the top. Unused icing turn into skull shape – I did pointy teeth just for the fun of it. You can make it as realistic as you wish. Cover skull with red food coloring to match the cake allow drying then transferring it on the top of the cake.
 

Use red food color with double cream if used for really effective thick “blood”.

No comments:

Post a Comment